OUR VILLAGE

A view northwards along Garstang Road towards Broughton Crossroads

COMMUNITY OVERVIEW

Situated 4-miles to the north of Preston in Lancashire, Broughton is a village steeped in history, with a warm and close-knit community.

At the time of the 2011 census, Broughton had a population of 1,731. 

The parish (historically also known as Broughton-in-Amounderness) was formerly part of Preston Rural District until 1974, when the parish became part of the Borough of Preston, which became a city in 2002.

There are 3 excellent schools in Broughton: Broughton Pre-School was founded in 1968 and caters for children aged 2–4. Broughton Church of England Primary School is voluntary-aided and next to the St John Baptist Church. It can claim to be amongst the olderst primary schools in the UK, having been one of only 27 grammar schools founded in Lancashire and Cheshire before 1550. The Church Cottage Museum can also be found in its grounds. Broughton High School is a mixed community high school for 11-16 year olds, situated on Woodplumpton Lane.

The village's social and culinary scene is also well served by several quality pubs and dining establishments, as well as the Broughton & District Club - which was founded in 1890. Broughton is also home to a the headquarters of Lancashire Fire & Rescue Services and the Lancashire office of the Lancashire Ambulance Service. Several well-established businesses operate successfully from within our parish, including Lathams of Broughton and the Preston Marriott Hotel - which occupies the beautiful Victorian former Manor House.

The parish also contains 13 listed structures that are recorded in the National Heritage List for England.

Preston Marriott Hotel Broughton's War Memorial The Parish Chuch of St John the Baptist. Photo Credit: David Dixon